The Biggest Day.

Today was the big day!

The biggest day!

I was so unsure of how it would all play out given our family plague. I’m still unaffected, but Quinn and Kyle are in the depths of despair – however, Leah was on the mend all day yesterday so I was hopeful. I had replayed the morning in my head so many times over the last few weeks, just to get prepared to get out the door! You’ll remember, we have no experience having to be anywhere before 11am. But then the sickness hit, and all of that kind of went out the window. I left the house last night at 8:30 to get my first meal of the day, and I was eating the Wendy’s goodness, I just thought, “you know, one way or another we’ll be there. and we won’t be late.” This family of Proebsting’s aren’t late. Ever. If you’re on time, you’re late. If you’re early, you’re on time. Family motto. So I knew come hell or high water we would respect the school start time and be there with bells on.

And then Quinn was up from 1:28am on. But hey, I have a coffee pot. And it was on. Quinnie was the first up, (because you don’t have to wake up if you don’t sleep), so I got her dressed first. Even she seemed confused that I was taking her jammies off before lunch. Then I got myself ready. Then at promptly 6:55am I woke Leah up. Man, I hated that. Poor kid probably needs all the rest she can get, but she woke up like a champ. She was SO excited that it was finally school day! I love how this school introduces their newest members to the process. First, we had a meet the teacher night where we all went to help her get aquainted, then we had a school picnic to play with teachers and classmates, last we had a parent orientation where we left Leah  in the room with her teacher and classmates while Kyle and I went to the gym to hear all the information we could handle. So by the time this morning actually rolled around, she was so excited to finally get to go for real! She had practiced three times – she knew where she was going and who she was going to be with – pretty seamless.

We ate breakfast, brushed teeth, changed clothes, and took pictures!

photo 4(7)

Love her so. You’ll excuse the “fly free” shirt I so appropriately chose for her. They are asked also to only wear tennis shoes – blah. But oh well, I’m sure she prefers them anyways.


Poor Quinnie. Not in the back to school spirit. And Leah’s “backpack.” Kind of sad, since she wanted a backpack (and lunchbox), but they say it’s easier for 3 year olds to get papers in and out of, so we won’t complain. And Jesus and “his cute little lamb” as Leah calls it adorn the front. Ha.


Giving the exact same face.

I started to get really excited when we pulled up. We formed a line with all the other minivans proudly boasting their school car magnets, just as we were.

photo 1(7)

Go Eagles!

It was fun to finally see how it all would go. And instantly be a part of this little school community. Leah had to have her bag all to herself as we walked in. She couldn’t hold my hand. And she knew right where she was headed.

photo 3(7) photo 2(7)

Gosh, she’s so big. There was a kid screaming in the parking lot, “I don’t wannnnnnna gooooo innnnn! I wannnnaaaa gooooo hommmmmme!” And I almost laughed, but didn’t. That poor dad. And there was a kid sobbing in her class. But not Leah. She was ready. She found her cubby for her bag, and went right in to join in the fun. I watched her for a minute, then the teacher and I caught glances, she smiled at me, and we shrugged shoulders at each other as if to say, “welp, I guess there’s nothing left for me to do here.” I said goodbye, and Quinn and I headed home.

That’s where I am now. It’s 9:27. I cleaned the kitchen from this mornings breakfast madness and now have LIVE with Michael and Kelly on the TV in the background. It’s so weird to be kidless. And it’s really weird to not be watching PBS or DisneyJR. This is our first real crack at ever leaving Leah somewhere on a regular basis for a slightly significant amount of time. And as much as I didn’t see it coming, I did get a little emotional. I am now, too, being all by myself. This is the first time that I won’t be the one to solve all of her problems, or teach her something new. It’s the first time she will have to ask someone else for help. I mean, yes, she’s has been away from me before. But left in the care of grandparents. A teacher is different. It’s the first time I get a peak at a teacher in a different light – I’m giving her teacher my little girl for a portion of the day. That’s kind of a big deal. Someone should pay them more. 🙂

Ugh, now it’s only 9:34. I’m chomping at the bit to see how the day went! I can’t wait to hear all about it. I can’t wait to bring her her blue tootsie pop. And I really can’t wait to return her to her dog, so he gets off my left arm…


He’s just wandering aimlessly and stopping back to check in with me as if to say, “mom. where’s Leah? You forgot her.”

Soon enough, buddy.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s